Whether you’re just starting a new catalog campaign or ramping up an existing campaign, knowing as many of the advantages catalog marketing presents you with is essential for getting the most out of your future campaigns.
In a previous blog, we saw why catalogs are making a comeback in 2019 and why they’re one of the best print marketing tools for maximizing your ROI.
This week we’re going through some of the other advantages of catalog marketing campaigns, so you can make the most out of your next catalog marketing campaign.
1. Simplifies response monitoring and results tracking
Have complete control over how responses are measured for your catalog campaign using some of the tips we outline in our blog post on How to Make a Catalog that Gets Results
2. Maximizes profits of online marketing campaigns through a unique synergistic relationship
Online marketing campaigns that also have a direct mail catalog component receive 163% more profits than online marketing campaigns without a printed catalog component.
3. Increases brand visibility and awareness
Whether you decide to mail your catalog to a wide array of prospects or a targeted list of customers, putting a catalog in the mail will get your brand some amount of visibility no matter what.
4. Provides niche audience targeting opportunities
Creating targeted versions of catalogs for a select list of your customers or prospects can be a great way to more effectively tailor content to media consumption habits and preferences.
5. Simplifies a customer’s ordering process with mail in order forms or necessary contact info
When the mode of responding is either attached or part of your mailed catalog, it couldn’t be simpler for a customer to understand how to begin their ordering process
6. Helps establish brand voice and style
Since catalogs are longer form print pieces, you have more space to express your brand through words and images. Make sure the design reflects what you want your brand’s overall design to look like, as it will be the only thing representing it to many prospects or customers who may not be super familiar with your brand
7. Nurtures existing groups of customers while increasing sales significantly
Keep your existing customers satisfied and provide a regular catalog of your products for both them and all your new prospects
8. Impresses audiences and strengthen your brand while making it into something that your customers and prospects want to be a part of
Simply having a catalog for your brand is a statement about your brand’s professionalism and size
9. Gives customers and prospects the freedom to choose when they’ll receive your marketing message, allowing it to hit at the optimal time
Unlike digital ads, print ads won’t actively disrupt the viewer’s activity to get attention; instead print products wait until a viewer is ready to read the contents, or interested in learning more about the topic before use. Ads in print are 43% less annoying than ads on the Internet.
10. Leaves a lasting impression on customers and prospects with a good design that they will want to keep on their coffee table, thus creating more potential future impressions
When something looks good, people want to show it off! Having a well-designed cover is of utmost importance to ensure your catalog finds a spot on a prospect or customer’s coffee table or magazine rack.
11. Translates into digital catalog marketing quickly and easily by using the same design
With just a few small tweaks, your print file can be made into a digital catalog that can easily be embedded on any website. For more information about digital catalogs and what they’re good for, check out our blog on the topic.
12. Monetizes your marketing by adding ad space for any of the growing number of advertisers who are once again seeing the benefit of placing ads in print publications
Interest has grown in the ad space available on direct mail pieces like catalogs and mail-order-houses. As a result, ad spaces on catalogs that are mailing to large enough audiences are highly desirable and your can have your catalog practically pay for itself.
13. Is one of the most cost effective marketing tools today as indicated by the continued growth of ad spending on catalogs and mail order houses year over year
The rapid growth of ad spending in this category (as indicated in above graph) is a sign that there is still untapped potential in the area of catalog marketing that could be tremendous.
14. Provides longer lasting medium than postcards or brochures (which typically get thrown away the same day), which results in a longer amount of time that brand will have an impression on the recipient
Catalogs on average stick around longer than your standard postcard ad or even letter. Since 98% of consumers in the US get their mail on the same day its delivered and 77% check it immediately, it would make sense for the shorter form spammy looking mail to get sorted out pretty early on. Catalogs typically don’t get thrown out with the first bunch of mail, even when someone doesn’t even know what the catalog is for.
15. Provides customers and prospects with a comprehensive or carefully edited seasonal list of your products, giving you greater control over what sells
Whether your catalog is a seasonally curated collection of products or a listing of your full inventory every time you mail it out, the format of a catalog can easily be adapted to suit any product or service listing need.
16. Transforms to suit whatever catalog need you might have for unbeatable prices
With a little creativity any listing of products or services can be transformed into the format of a catalog. Determining what your page count and paper size should be is tricky, which is why we made this guide to picking the best catalog specs for your print needs.
17. Takes advantage of advertising and marketing preference trend among consumers who prefer catalogs over postcards or digital ads
People simply prefer to be contacted for marketing purposes through a paper medium. 56% of customers perceived print marketing as the most trustworthy amongst other channels of marketing. 82% of internet users use print advertising when making a purchasing decision.
18. Provides a large canvas that can feature an infinite number of other types of creative content than just plain product listings
Just because your catalog is called a catalog doesn’t mean it can only include product listings and standard catalog stuff. Try filling sections with editorial content to switch things up and catch your reader by surprise.
19. Provides an excuse to get in touch with customers at multiple points throughout the year (perhaps seasonally) as you update editions of the catalog with new products
Seasonal catalogs are the perfect way to keep stirring your occasional mailing lists enough to keep them warm without getting too hot.
20. Allows for maximum versatility in how you present your information by offering a wide range of sizes and page counts
Catalogs are one of the oldest printed formats, as they provide the ultimate medium for conveying complex ideas and information through print. Whether you call it a booklet, a catalog, a magazine or a periodical, the power of printed pages bound together to create a multi-paged printed piece is undeniable.
Catalogs are so powerful, they've shaped human history in a way that is undeniable. Since Gutenberg invented the first printing press in the 1400s, the printed page has been compiled into catalog format to insight social, political and cultural change and free thought. To find out more about the ways in which catalog marketing is a powerful option for any business, check out our blog on the topic here.
For all these reasons and more, we believe there are an unbelievably large number of advantages to catalog print marketing that can easily be applied to any business, regardless of industry or company or organization size.