With the rise of digital marketing, you have to wonder if trying to create an effective direct mail campaign is worth the effort. The short answer is “Yes!”
Despite the popularity and convenience of digital marketing strategies, creating direct mail campaigns is still a viable marketing option for nearly all businesses. In many cases, its actually more effective than digital marketing–including email.
But, you cant just slap some text and images together and expect incredible results. You have to put some effort into the creation of your mailers in order to get the desired responses from the people that receive them.
The key to a successful direct mail campaign is to create something unique that will get the recipients attention. One of the best ways to attract and captivate customer interest is to use marketing strategies that will delight and excite them. People need more than black and white text, plain backgrounds and basic geometric shapes to grab their attention. If they think your direct mail is ‘boring then theyll quickly dismiss your mailer regardless of how amazing your actual offer is. To get started, below is a list of ways to get your recipients attention and avoid being boring.
5 Effective Direct Mail Ideas You Can Use Today
- Include bonus items. Everyone loves opening up their direct mail to find exciting little extras Personalized calendars, notepads, or magnets are both affordable and effective. You can hint to these extras on the outside with text like, “Free gift inside!” This ensures the small and lightweight gift creates enough of a lump to jumpstart your customers curiosities. Even if your motives are transparent to the savvy consumer, most will want to know what their gift is, and will be willing to open the envelope just to find out. This approach increases the rate people open your envelope, which ultimately increases your chance of overall success.
- Let your direct mailers double as coupons. Many customers will throw away your mailers after theyve looked at them. Mailers that double as coupons, on the other hand, have a greater perceived value, and are less likely to be discarded.
If a new bookstore uses direct mail to announce its store opening, and only provides store information on the mailer, it is likely to be thrown away immediately. But, if that same bookstore uses the opportunity to provide an offer, such as “two books for the price of one when you present this coupon”, the recipient will be much more likely to retain the mailer (even if its never redeemed).
- Use unique techniques to help you stand out. If you want to peak the interest of consumers, be unique. Unique and personalized messaging can grab and hold the recipients attention long enough to make a positive impression. Instead of using standard-sized paper with black text on light-colored backgrounds, go for bolder colors or over-sized pieces. For example, a 6x9 postcard or a 8.5x11 flat will stand out over other direct mail pieces and even standard sized envelopes.
- Include high quality images. Ineffective mailers only include text-based content. If you really want to grab the attention of your recipients, include at least one large, high quality image in your direct mail advertising. Make one side of your postcard a large, single image, then on the other side, include more imagery to enhance the copy. Use high resolution photographs or graphics to provide a polished look for your brand. Low quality pixelated images are not only ineffective, but reflect poorly on your brand.
- Target The Right People. Just because a mailing list has worked in the past doesnt mean it will continue to work. Using the same process for selecting recipients could lead to diminishing results. Dont be afraid to test new markets and choose new types of recipients. If youre not satisfied with your direct mail results, it could be as simple as sending them to a new segment or a more targeted audience. Be sure to make any necessary content changes to keep your messaging tailored and relevant.
The Most Effective Direct Mail Is Interactive
The basic goal of your direct mail is to engage your recipients and inspire them to take an action. Scanning and discarding is the worst case scenario, and all efforts should be made to avoid this fate. Creating a design with great images and exciting text will grab peoples attention. Giving them a compelling reason to take action will drive real business results.
Get a FREE Direct Mail Idea Pack
How to Create Effective Direct Mail
With the rise of digital marketing, you have to wonder if trying to create an effective direct mail campaign is worth the effort. The short answer is “Yes!” Despite the popularity and convenience of digital marketing strategies, creating direct mail campaigns is still a viable marketing option for nearly all businesses...
By Conquest Graphics