Printed marketing materials and direct mail are great ways to grow new donors for Non-Profit Organizations. There are several non-profit marketing trends but direct mail that drives customers to make donations to your website is always a good option. Dual channel communication, or advertising that hits customers both electronically and through traditional paper printing, is very important to use in modern marketing.
1. Build mutually rewarding relationships with donors – Cross promotion is an important strategy for profit and non-profit businesses and organizations alike. Whether it’s a dog shelter pairing with a pet store, or a women’s rights organization pairing with a hospital, you can draw more attention to your cause with the increased visibility of building mutually rewarding relationships. Additionally, the other partner may be a sponsored donor, which makes it even more beneficial to work together. By displaying signage, posting business cards, and spreading brochures and leaflets, you can do more with paper printing than just direct mail marketing.
2. Charity discounts – Several organizations, including the USPS, still offer charity discounts for non-profit groups in order to save them part of their cost. This is a perk that is offered generally upon proof of official “non-profit” designation. Some on-line print companies, such as Conquest Graphics, also offer cost savings for non-profit organizations. Always ask your vendors if they offer a discount or shop around for those that do help charitable groups.
3. Quarterly newsletters – Many non-profit organizations are trending toward moving their newsletters back from monthly mailings to quarterly mailings; this is in response to a lot of feedback from donors about their preferences for solicitation. Not only do businesses save money by mailing less frequently, but their direct mail marketing is much better received.
4. Streamlining traditional with digital – If your non-profit is looking for an opportunity to help the environment you can merge your digital advertising with direct mail marketing instead of switching completely to digital. This method of dual channel communication can allow you to use green printing on the traditional side of it. This sustainable method of paper advertising is competitively priced through online printers such as Conquest Graphics and also helpful for the environment.
5. Address labels – One of the most popular trends in non-profit direct mail marketing is the addition of bonuses like free address labels and calendars. If a donor sends money to a children’s fund or a church group they will often receive a ‘thank you’ piece of mail with some type of goody inside—often personalized with their name. When donors see their personal information attached to these bonuses it reinforces the belief that their individual contribution was special and made a difference.
There are many popular trends for non-profit organizations to revolutionize their direct mail marketing. By modifying mail schedules, being responsive to donor feedback, emphasizing cross-promotion, and adding print bonuses, it is possible to be both environmentally friendly and smart with your advertising budget. The good thing about non-profits is that your customers often are previous donors with a fondness for your cause; this makes it even easier to reach them.