Business cards are still a necessity for all types of businesses. Whenever you meet a new customer, prospect or even a friend, it is easy to provide your printed business card with all the relevant contact information. So it is important to have a good looking professionally printed business card that is easy to read and makes a good first impression. Once you have the right design, then ordering business cards on-line is an easy way to save time and money. Online ordering of business cards can save you as much as $40 per set of business cards.
Here are some key points you need to keep in mind when setting up your business card order:
1. Plan ahead in order to avoid mistakes. Your business card may be the first impression that
someone gets of your business, so you want to make sure that the information is clean and accurate. Make sure that you include all of your contact information and that the phone number, address, web address and tag line are correct before you make your order on-line. (Here is a hint-DIAL the phone number to make sure it is right)
2. Consider all your print options in advance: Business cards now come in different sizes and formats so you have far more decisions to make these days. Here some of the options to think over:
- Color or black and white? Most people use full color for business cards so sometimes black and white can stand out from the crowd. But think about the design first… do you want to display a picture or image, if so then go with full color. You could have a colorful image on the card front, with black and white on the flip side. Costs do not differ much when printing so go with what looks best.
- Gloss, Matte, Coated or Un-coated paper stock? With any color photos, gloss will bring out the best image but uncoated stock allows you to make notes on your cards if you want to denote an appointment time or whatever.
- cUnusual size or shape? The standard size card is 3.5 x 2” but cards can be any size you want – so long as they fit inside a wallet or are easy to handle. If you want an original design, make sure it says something about your business. For example, if you are bookseller, you can make your card open up like a book. Or perhaps you own a business named Square One Burgers, then a perfectly square 2.5 x 2.5’ card may be perfect. Just beware, that special sizes will increase your costs so make sure that the design is worthwhile.
3. Make sure your business name stand out: Use your company logo or photography that illustrates your business. People will only glance at your business card so make it easy for them to know what product or service you provide. If the name itself does not make it clear what you do, then add a tag line that describes your business.
4. Keep it clean and clear: Other than the logo, perhaps a line explaining what you do, the only other information should be the contact addresses. Include a phone number and perhaps a cell phone as well. Plus always place your website information and e-mail address on your card. You may also consider a QR code if you have room on the back but do not overload the card with too much info. If it is cluttered, then no one will read it.
5. Use a business card template and stay in the margins: Printers, such as Conquest Graphics, often provide templates that help you design a business card for printing. Follow the guidelines to stay within the margins because you do not want to have your phone number or any important info be left off the card. You have little space so use it wisely.
Once you have a business card design that looks good, show it to a few friends or colleagues so they can proof it for you. You want to be sure that all information is provided in a way that makes it easy to read while providing a pleasing layout. Your card should match your business. If you are a lawyer, it should be professional and conservative. A nightclub may be wildly colored and edgy. Make sure that you provide the right impression for new clients.
If all looks good, then you are ready to order. An on-line print company such as Conquest Graphics, makes it easy to place your order and the pricing is extremely low for high-quality business cards. If you have any questions, you can always contact customer service for additional assistance. Make sure you order enough cards to provide them to everyone you meet.